Finding Inner Strength With The Help Of Spirituality
Spirituality is a totally unique and individual experience. Certainly, no two persons will have the same instances but there is always that deep and natural sense of familiarity that is shared by a number of people. It is also believed that there is an inner sense of connection between the person’s mind and spirit. Through this link, people find the so-called “inner strength” to face the challenges that one encounters in life.
By getting in touch with an individual’s inner self, people are able to experience great peace of mind. They are able to embody a good sense of well-being – which in turn, influences others to feel and do the same. When a person feels terrified or depressed, it is always an instinct to pray and seek for that feeling of peace that may help to lighten and ease the burden. Although this does not directly cure and remove the underlying disease or problem, it definitely helps the person to cope with the different physical and emotional strains that accompany it.
The aspect of spirituality is a significant part in a person’s life. It plays an essential role with the way people deal with the ups and downs of life. Finding meaning in the things that are happening around is one of the main reasons for the significance of one’s spirituality. When a person is able to find meaning in life, acceptance becomes an easier thing to do. It helps create a sense of anticipation about what the future may bring which increases not just the physical, but the psychological preparedness of the individual as well.
This spirituality may be literally immaterial, but a great deal of courage is gained from it, especially when the significant others of the person are involved. It does not only pertain to praying and doing religious rituals. Spirituality may also be found in the community where a sense of belonging may be felt by the person, thus, increasing the optimism. Taking a quiet time for even just a few minutes every day helps to regain serenity. There are several activities that will help in restoring the inner strength of a person. One is reading a daily devotional book that serves as the food for the soul. Another is to perform yoga exercises. This is greatly helpful in bringing back the physical and emotional strength after a hard day’s work. Taking a short walk from the house to a quiet park or garden may also be one way to reestablish the inner balance
Indeed, the sense of spirituality is inseparable to human nature. It can be felt and needed anytime and anywhere in a person’s life and truly, these experiences are teaching us valuable life lessons that will leave remarkable insights. Moreover, it is also necessary to remain open to all possible events in life – especially the painful ones – for it allows a person to grow holistically without us realizing it directly. Acceptance may not come immediately but the strength to carry on will always remain aglow in their hearts. Allowing yourself to believe in the things that are not simply freely explainable by human rationality is also an effective way of discovering the inner strength. This will enable us to live more joyfully and to love unconditionally without holding grudges anymore.
The Connection Between Spirituality & Medicine
When a person is threatened with physical complications, there are two main aspects that he will seek refuge in- medicine and spirituality. Despite the recent discussions and debates surrounding the reunion of spirituality and medicine, there is no doubt that a lot of patients recognize their faith as a great influence in their physical health. Thus, when a person feels ill or experiences health complications, they face it by trying to understand their illness in the medical or scientific sense and by turning into their faith in order to cope with their emotions of despair, depression, loneliness and suffering.
Although spirituality can be connected with religion, it is not the sole definition of it. Spirituality is defined as a person’s own system of beliefs focused towards the intangible, and knowing that there is a greater being who really knows the meaning of the person’s life. Members of the health care industry such as nurses and physicians had observed that their patient’s spirituality have a great influence in their experiences of dealing with their illnesses.
During the study of medicine, medical students are taught how to conduct a doctor-patient interview. The first part of this interview includes taking the details of the patient’s medical history as well as personal details which are related to their spirituality and religious beliefs. Although most students actually feel that they are being intrusive while asking these questions, these are actually valid as such factors actually allow the patient to open up and discuss his beliefs to the health care professional. It also lets them reflect regarding their personal life and provide them with reassurance and comfort, knowing that they are not alone in their present struggle. Having the opportunity to reflect about one’s self also gives the patient the chance to plan about his next actions given the current condition that he is in.
Nowadays, the medical field has constructed a way to assist health care professionals in incorporating spiritual history into their interview. Brown University uses the HOPE module which is used to assess the patient by asking him questions through the mnemonics of HOPE. H is where the patient gets hope, love, connection, and strength, and O is the patient’s part or role in an organized group of spiritual or religious people. On the other hand, P is the patient’s personal beliefs when it comes to spirituality and how does he practice it, while E would be how he views the effects of medical care and any issues that he is currently facing.
These questions make the patient ponder about his personal life without having to immediately conclude that the health care professional is trying to intrude or delve deeper into his religious beliefs. More so, the structure provides a lot of room for a person to reflect on his current status and plan for his future by simply answering a standard set of connections.
Although there is still a lot to be studied when it comes to spirituality and how it can affect the future of medicine, it is a great move that medical institutions are now finding a way to include a person’s spirituality as a major factor in his physical health.
Great Ways To Discover Your Spirituality
The ways to discover your spirituality is not something to be taken lightly considering today’s climate of stressful living which often stands as an obstacle in pursuing that spiritual quest. This condition drains one’s energy and drive but once the person takes on the task to venture on the path of searching for life’s meaning and purpose the rewards are worth the effort. It is compared to any journey where it is asked: how and where does it start? The journey begins with oneself.
Believing that fear is not a factor is among the ways to discover one’s spirituality. There is no need to be afraid in asking one’s self, nor in questing for enlightenment. The search within and asking for what reason an individual exists is the most helpful question that can be employed. What does one really want out of this life? Focusing on the present and not dwelling in the past is a good way to move forward in a lighter manner – without the burden of the past or the fears for the uncertainties of the future. It is just another way that develops the feeling of connectedness to a world out there. As one gets to be more aware of self, a sense of relief emerges accepting that everyone is part of something that is bigger and controlled by a greater Being.
Although spirituality is always associated with being religious, it is believed that religion is not that necessary. Spirituality is even thought to be something that is known to possibly develop outside of religion. Embracing spirituality is putting faith on the positive side that the best will come. This happens as long as the person lets go and develops a relationship with all other individuals, nature and the entire creation itself. Human spirituality, therefore, is something that is holistic: it involves every aspect of one’s being – the intellect, the spirit and the physical being. This is why spirituality is encompassing and with depth that is sometimes too complicated to understand.
Meditating on the commandment “Love your neighbor as yourself” is part of the process for one finds it as a command full of wisdom. One has to love others just the way they love themselves. They must not allow others to go hungry just the way they will not allow themselves to suffer from hunger; they will not hurt others because they do not like to be hurt. Compassion, self giving, forgiveness and inner feeling of peace are all characteristics of spirituality. In so doing, they do not love others only but also the One whom they consider to be greater and larger than them and to whom all creations are attributed to. Such is a wisdom that is hard to understand, and harder still to live by.
A life of spirituality is a life of choice and a self-discovery that one is not alone. One has to come to it voluntarily without admonition or pressure. There is the need to be in touch with oneself, with nature and with others. Just like in any journey, the ways to discover your spirituality is continuous and sometimes arduous. At a special point in time, however, it will come to a halt for finally one has found the rest of which the heart and mind is searching for all their life. So when it comes to seeking that peace, wholeness and purpose in life, it’s better to take the steps towards all that by raising spiritual awareness within yourself!
Seven Ways To Build Stronger Spiritual Life
Keeping a strong spiritual life can be near to impossible, especially with the kind of culture that is present in the modern world. More so, the temptation of commercialism and materialism can be so strong that it makes it easier for us to forget that we need to nurture and feed our spirituality rather than our material needs. So how do we build a really strong spirituality amid all these? Here are seven ways to do so:
1. Make time for prayer and meditation. We live in a fast-paced world filled with busy schedules and deadlines. However, spirituality cannot thrive in this kind of environment. What you need is a quiet time for yourself where you can think, relax your mind and just contemplate about your day. Focus your thoughts and calm down the noise that is within you. You can only pray from the heart and establish your faith once you are focused and you have found a way to silence your inner turmoil. When you think about it, praying and meditating will only take around 15 minutes of your time, so make it a habit to start and end your day with a prayer.
2. Serve and be a blessing. It is easy to follow your needs and your wants, but if you want to enrich your spiritual life, it will entail some sacrifices. Devote some of your time, energy and resources in serving for a greater cause, one that will make you a blessing to other people. Yes, you may feel that one some days, your rubber will be stretched and you will feel like giving up in serving other people, but it is through these challenges that you will grow in your spirituality.
3. Be with like-minded people. Although faith grows in solitude, it will also thrive when you are in the company of people who have the same goal as you. Gather around and spend time with people who can share you how they nurture and renew their spirituality and you can also share yours. Listening to other people’s words, experiences and challenges lets you reflect about your own life, allowing growth for your spirituality. It is also through this that you will find the right encouragement especially during situations when you feel that your spirituality is weakening.
4. Make spiritual growth one of your main priorities. You are aware that you need to have a stronger spiritual life in order for you to have a meaningful and balanced life. By making your spirituality a priority in your life allows you to make time for it and practice your spirituality by keeping your integrity even with all the challenges posed by the outside world.
5. Be thankful of your blessings. The modern world is full of instant gratifications that you sometimes tend to forget that at one point, those things or events are actually hard to attain. Start and end your day by identifying the blessings that you have received, be it in a form of an event, a material thing or a person who came in your life. Making this a habit will let you see life with more optimism even when you are in your toughest times.
6. Observe integrity and commit to it. You may strengthen your spirituality while you are in solitude or when you are in the company of other people who have the same goal as you. However, not everyone in this world has the same perspective. It can be challenging to deal with these people but if you keep your integrity and practice it whatever the situation may be, you can get through one of the biggest challenges of your spiritual life.
7. Share your spirituality to those who might need them. Radiate a positive and spiritual life and tell those who feel lost that they too, can strengthen their spirituality.
Handling Both Loss & Grief Through Spirituality
It is a very tough ordeal for anyone to manage grief and that sad event of losing someone dear. People go through a lot of stages before they reach the final stage of acceptance. This journey is very emotional for a lot of people, and often, it affects one’s day to day dealings because of the heavy toll. Some people even lack the emotional strength to endure the loss of a loved one, and the result could have a negative impact on their life’s perspective. But one good way to positively dealing with loss & grief would be through spirituality.
But before that it should be noted that spirituality is not only about religion. To some degree, despite the differences in religion, people gain the inspiration through spirituality to live and endure each day. Spirituality influences the way we live, the way we treat other people, and inspires our principles. Through our belief we even affect other people, like the people we love, our friends, or our colleagues. Other people affect us the same way. A lot of these teaching from different religions are similar to each other like being kind to your neighbour. Your spirituality, regardless of your religions is the perfect guide for you to overcome grief, even managing your life.
It is normal for everyone to grieve for a loved one. You are reminded of the things we learned from them or the memories you have shared. It hurts to think that this is all that you have left. Everyone has heard it a million times that this is the course of life, but this does not remove the feeling of being heartbroken. It is really necessary to allow a person some time to grieve. Through spirituality, you would understand that the life of a loved one may end but you continue to keep them alive through you. You keep them alive by keeping their memories alive, their principles, and their beliefs. You also have a sense of purpose and the capacity to be this special for other people; and this is one of the reasons why you have to move on.
Spirituality teaches that there is a purpose for everyone and death may mean the completion of that purpose. Sometimes grief is necessary for a person to endure for him to start to live independently. There is a saying that also states that the only way that you can be ready to accept something is by freeing your hands from the things that you are holding on. Holding on to the things unnecessary will just hinder you from growth. This applies even to other problems that you may encounter, like relationships or business. Death can mean the beginning for some.
Prayers and meditations keep our mind away from ill thoughts that can lead to depression. Local support groups can aid you in strengthening your spirituality and at the same time be able to manage grief. Depression normally happens during grieving. You begin to understand how these things happen and with spirituality, you learn there are good reasons to make good effort in living a meaningful life. Your spirituality can guide you. For those who are of weak of will, the presence of friends and family help.
What spirituality teaches a person is transcendental. Despite your religion, you will find the lesson in the things that you endure and emerge as a better individual. In Buddhism, the more struggles that you go through only mean that you are being cleansed. In a way, we need these challenges in order to learn from it. As they usually say, life would not give you an obstacle that you cannot hurdle.
Does Spirituality Influence Health?
Is a stronger spiritual life directly related to a stronger physical health as well? For years, researchers have been trying to co-relate spirituality and its influence to physical health.
As it is, spirituality can improve a person’s ability to cope more with the environment that he is living in. Being able to nurture a strong and flourishing spiritual life despite today’s culture is a strong characteristic that may help a person in improving his mental, emotional and physical health. So how can spirituality affect these aspects of health?
• Spirituality helps in reducing stress and depression. One of the main teachings of spirituality is directed towards living with a positive outlook in life. An optimistic person dwells more on the bright side of things rather than on the negative. These actions help him reduce or eliminate anxiety, tension and probable signs of depression. In turn, being able to live a spiritual life with reduced negativity can affect a person’s nervous, cardiovascular and immune system. A medical research which was focused on senior citizens indicated that those who have a healthy practice of their spiritual and religious beliefs have stronger immunity system and lower blood pressure than the elderly subjects who already gave up on their beliefs.
• Spirituality can lead to a healthy lifestyle. One specific example of this would be those who are members of certain religions or sects whose beliefs prevent them from indulging in alcohol consumption, smoking and eating pork. Patients who are under rehabilitation for substance and alcohol abuse often undergo spiritual training which teaches them that the proper way to handle emotional turmoil would be to meditate and pray rather than turn to alcohol and drugs.
• Spirituality improves the body’s resistance to stress. A 1988 clinical study showed that spiritual women who underwent breast biopsies have lower stress levels in their hormones compared to those who lack spiritual beliefs. These women turned to their spiritual beliefs and prayers in order to cope with the stress that they felt during biopsy.
• Spirituality helps in increasing a person’s lifespan. Spirituality teaches a person to be more forgiving, improve their faith, and become more compassionate to others. In separate studies conducted among Harvard and Stanford students, results indicated that the graduates who exhibited strong spiritual beliefs were more likely to live longer and developed fewer illnesses.
Teachings which revolve around spirituality have distinct characteristics such as faith, hope, love, forgiveness and how the power of prayer and support can help a person during the most challenging times. A person who has strong spiritual beliefs opens up himself to the better side of life and prevents him from entertaining negative thoughts. Aside from that, a spiritual person has a better ability to cope and recuperate even when he encounters challenges and pitfalls because he receives a strong support system from the people who surrounds him. More importantly, it is easier for him to accept, forgive and move on with his life because he is aware that all things happen for a greater purpose.
What Encompasses Strong Spirituality
Spirituality is a state of mind that comes from communing with self and with the Supreme Being. While it is often said to be borne out of finding peace and purpose in one’s life, it is still often related to faith and religion. Quite commonly religion is the way by which a person finds that peace even in solitude. There are of course other ways by which an individual get in touch with one’s spirituality.
Regardless of the manner or process by which one attains spirituality, there is no question that spirituality is the power that drives how a person lives. One question that often bugs one’s consciousness is if their faith and spirituality are strong enough. To this effect, one may wonder what comprises strong spirituality. Here are some “classical” expectations:
• People with strong spirituality have unwavering faith to their religion or whatever philosophy that they embrace. This is manifested in the way they fiercely and boldly hold close their values in the face of adversity. They consider harsh conditions as trials to strengthen further their faith. They regard their spirituality as the fortress that defends them against hostilities.
• People with strong spirituality exhibit wholesome character whether they are confronted by grief and failure. They are happy and positive people who infect others with their optimism. They are kind, patient, caring, trustworthy, reliable, and selfless among other things. Hence, they are generally well-liked by people they know. They are a source of inspiration for the people around them.
• They are like magnets and their positive traits draw people to them. They enjoy good personal relationships with the people around them –their family, friend, fellow workers, and neighbors. They get all the support they need in the same way that they support their support to others who need it without being asked. They inspire people in a constructive way. People draw strength from highly spiritual people.
• They adhere to doing what is right and fair for others and for themselves. Thus, they avoid anything that can bring harm – alcohol, smoking, unhealthy diet, gambling, drugs and even people who can be vexations to their spirituality. Casting what may bring them and others to harm is something they do instinctively without being asked. They may still fall occasionally to dangers because that is what life us all about. Yet, they can scramble out of it and take the experience in a positive way, as a source of learning and further inspiration.
• One would know if they are spiritually strong when they can forego materialism and wealth because they are happy in their faith and contented with the basic things that they need to live. Succeeding is focused on being able to improve as a person to grow personally and for others. Material success means having the ability and opportunity to help others in need. Material bounty and resources are viewed as gifts from the Supreme Being that need to be used judiciously and wisely for the benefit of many.
People with strong faith need not focus on what comprises strong spirituality because these dawn on them naturally. Spirituality is like light that shines through them. They illumine the lives of others and are happy to be that. They are inspiring, happy, contented people that cannot just be defeated by life’s trials and crisis.
Understanding Spirituality As A Need In Life
Every human being has the goal of pursuing the things that he thinks will make him happy. Oftentimes, he will wish for a life devoid of pain and suffering. Because of these, man has constantly looked for ways on how to achieve this kind of life, but it can often lead to frustration. At times like these, a person may succumb in giving up his goal of living a better life or he may turn to his faith and spirituality that will allow him to lead a meaningful existence.
Spirituality is one aspect of life that should be present in every person. It should be a priority far higher than yearning for higher social status and material things. Keeping a strong spirituality is like knowing that a person can strive to have an almost-perfect life even if he doesn’t have the material possessions that he wants.
• Spirituality enhances emotional intelligence. Being able to deal with other people with tolerance and without unbiased judgment can be challenging. Other than that, it is also hard to handle emotions especially for those who have wronged the person. Having a strong spirituality means keeping an optimistic and positive outlook in life. With these attributes, a person can still exude a positive attitude even when the people that surround him are doing the exact opposite. Likewise, being able to dismiss negativity helps a person save his emotional energy for more important people and events in his life.
• Spirituality does not only make a person better, it also affects those who are close to him. A strong sense of spirituality opens up a lot of doors leading to positive events in life. When a person has a spiritual outlook, he attracts visions, ideas, and opportunities that allow him to grow better as a person. A spiritual person also exudes an aura of faithfulness, security and positive fearlessness which can prove to be fascinating to those who are around him. If a person shares his spirituality to others, he can also inspire them to lead a life where they can nurture their soul and enrich their relationships among others.
• Spirituality leads a person to work more efficiently and with less effort. When a person embodies a strong spirituality, he is aware that things happen for a reason. With this, he will work smart in achieving his goals, but he will not work and waste his efforts in forcing the events that are not yet ripe to be taken. Being able to recognize that there is a higher power and submitting to it lets a person align his goals according to the laws of spirituality.
Leading a spiritual life helps a person in achieving his aspirations and dreams in a positive and ethical way. A spiritual person has the ability to silence his inner turmoil and turn towards the more optimistic view. Nurturing a strong sense of spirituality also helps him overcome whatever obstacles that he encounters, knowing that he is not alone in facing the challenges that comes in his life.
Using Spirituality To Better Cope With Stress
The big S that people battle each day of their lives have put away so many futures because not everyone can or have successfully managed it. Stress is a daily companion that is unwanted but which persists to be there from morn till you doze off to the dreamland. It can make people unhappy, agitated, short-tempered, and more vulnerable to mental disorders and other medical conditions as the immune system is weakened. Unmanaged, it can lead to depression and drive a teen yonder to escape it.
It is therefore not surprising that countless number of people seek ways to be able to cope with daily stress. Some of these are negative like drug abuse, alcoholism and over eating. Some positive ways to deal with stress are exercise, getting into productive hobbies, and spirituality. Coping with stress through spirituality is something that is undeniably useful as one becomes enlightened, and as a person’s purpose in life becomes clearer, sensed and lived.
Finding Meaning In A Person’s Life
Contrary to what most people believe, the core value of spirituality is not always connected to religion, though it can be. The dawning of awareness about self and the development of one’s personal values generally leads a person to one’s discovery of spirituality. This is linked to religion because religion and faith are the most usual tools towards self-discovery. Embracing a philosophy like yoga that instills discipline through its Asanas (poses) and meditation by way of Pranayama (breathing) can lead one into the awareness of self. This is important as this is the beginning od spirituality.
How Spirituality Relieves Stress
The most important achievement that spirituality can deliver to a believer is the discovery of one’s sense of existence or reason of being. This makes a person depart from materialism to move towards the attainment of the more valuable matters that define one’s faith and spirituality. Thus, stress becomes just another unnecessary thing that holds no importance to the person’s life. Stress becomes an unnecessary burden that tends to weigh down people’s mind and emotions. This affects the heart beat, the pressure of the blood, the functioning of many organs and the weakening of the immune system.
Inner serenity is achieved without effort despite solitude as one develops the connection with others and as one’s values are removed from everything material. With chi or qi (positive energy), one becomes like a magnet that draws people and relationships. This gives one the outlet to release, share or discuss with others their stressful problems that effectively reduce the intensity of emotions. As one learns to unload fears, phobias, apprehensions, anxiety, pain, anger and other negative emotions, the more that they become stronger physically, psychologically, socially, and emotionally.
Spirituality also tends to direct a person towards a healthier lifestyle and well being. Quite frequently, stressful conditions at work, at home, and in relationships tend to be aggravated when one is unhealthy. Therefore, a healthy lifestyle and habits brought about by spirituality help a lot in reducing and battling stress. Quite frankly, it is easy for a healthy person to be happy, contented, enthusiastic, friendly, calm and socially interactive.
Spirituality has a big role to play in any person’s life. Coping with stress through spirituality benefits a person in some big positive way. If you are struggling from stress and have tried many ways to get it off your back unsuccessfully, maybe it is good to try spirituality this time. So if you want to achieve that higher sense of enlightenment and cope with daily stress in life, find means to practice spirituality!
The History Of Spirituality’s Role In Health Care
Medicine and health care in most traditions started out with healers who used spirituality as the way of curing medical conditions. These traditions, however, were taken into the backseat during the era of scientific medical revolution. In the next years following the revolution of science and medicine and with the newest innovations and scientific researches in medical technology, there is little view of how spirituality can play a great role in health care.
In the early 1400s, Greek philosophers and healers had a holistic view of medicine. This meant that a person can only be cured of his illness if his mind, body and spirit are all in good health. This kind of belief was widespread throughout the 15th century. The same belief was prevalent all over Europe and Christianity at that period also employed the idea of spirituality as a part of the healing process. However, between the 1400s and the start of the 1600, the establishment of the Catholic Church became more strengthened. During this period, medical discoveries were also beginning to resurface. But since the Church had opposing views with the sciences, the medical world was split into two beliefs and thus, science and spirituality were never combined in early medicine. Because it was believed that spirituality can never become a part of healing and health care, it was also during this period when witch trials became more pervasive, and even midwives who assisted women during their childbirth were accused of witchcraft and burned at the stakes.
During the 17th century, another concept was introduced to the world- dualism. Thus, spirituality was recognized as a tool for healing. However, the boundaries of spirituality as a medium of healing was only limited and focused towards the restoration of the mind and the spirit. Physical health care and treatment were still under the monopoly of science and medicine. It continued within the end of the 19th century when Churches still consider autopsy as blasphemy and at the same time, medical innovations and discoveries were all concentrated towards the scientific aspect of health care, leaving spirituality as a subject that should be tackled by the Church alone.
It was only during the 1950s when Albert Einstein, along with other great minds, formulated the theory of relativity and the concept that all matters and space actually possess an interrelation with each other. With these ideas, noetic science was born. In this area of medicine, it is suggested that a person’s spiritual and religious beliefs as well as his spiritual history can influence and affect the physical aspects of his life. Because of the introduction of this new area of medical science which explores the inner experiences of a person rather than merely his physical attributes, it paved way to medical researches which showed how spirituality can pose a great effect in a person’s health.
Today, the reunion of spirituality and health care is still under constant tension and discussions. It cannot, however, disprove the fact that spirituality plays a crucial role in improving a person’s well-being, not only in the emotional and mental facets, but in the physical aspects as well.
Spirituality in health care today is considered as one of the most traditional and ancient practices, although employing spirituality in medicine has faded during the boom of scientific innovations. Because of its efficacy in improving some health conditions, spirituality in health care is now being introduced yet again in the medical practice.
Spirituality in Mental Health Care
Spirituality and faith can play a crucial role when it comes to dealing with a person’s emotional and mental health. When a person is under a mental or emotional struggle, the only area that he can find solace in is his faith. When it comes to dealing with mental health, medical research has found that spirituality can affect a person in coping with his illness. Another study showed that patients who have stronger connection in their religious beliefs have higher possibility to recover from their disorders. Additionally, keeping a strong spirituality can instill optimism and positive energy even when a person is being treated with health complication. These two effects of spirituality serve as key factors in reducing the depression that a person can experience when he is ill.
Spirituality in Physical Health Care
Traditional Western medicine often deems spirituality and physical health as two aspects that might not complement each other. However, there are certain studies that also showed how faith can actually help while a patient is being treated from a certain disease. One study which was conducted among elderly and more mature patients showed that patients who exhibit stronger connections with their spiritual and religious life are less prone to experience depression and they have a lower rate of deterioration in their physical health. Additionally, they have healthier immune systems and lower blood pressure.
A supplemental research also showed that religious and spiritual patients who underwent open-heart surgeries had higher chance of survival than patients who had no connections with spiritual groups. Patients with strong spiritual lives who are diagnosed with chronic illnesses such as diabetes, cancer, and heart diseases also cope better and have higher chances of recuperation. In programs for alcoholic rehabilitations such as Alcoholics Anonymous, experts observed that spirituality can play a huge part in educating the patients that they can avoid substance and alcohol abuse if they turn to prayer and meditation instead.
The reason for these might be that spirituality teaches how to maintain strong faith, nurture relationships and help patients in focusing their energy to more worthwhile activities such as meditation, prayer, conversing with positive people and doing volunteer work. These activities prevent them from focusing on their health problems and eliminate looming possibilities of anxiety and depression